08 February 2007

One year...

Well…. Happy one year to me. In no way has it seemed like I've had these metal death traps on for a year already. The first few months with them were well….terrible. I remember thinking that I was the ugliest person in the world. When I finally got used to my reflection in the mirror they just became part of me. I won't lie…its still hard for me to see pictures of myself with them…but they'll be a distant memory a few years from now.

I have noticed that I've become very observant if not judgmental at times when I see people who could easily have a better smile. I regularly catch myself thinking…if they only knew.. Obviously I never say anything to them because I know how it feels…cause it happened me all throughout middle school and a good portion of high school. Not necessarily comments about my teeth…but my "fantastic" jaw.. People can be so cruel…even if they think they're being funny and or even helpful. That's why I keep my mouth SHUT. My blogger friends can probably relate to this…

3 Comments:

At 12:22 AM , Blogger Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Larkin,
You and I are only 2 days apart in our brace dates. I got mine on Feb 6th. You are going to have BSSO soon to fix your underbite, I'm having BSSO in May to fix my overbite.

I'm actually ready for surgery right now, but I want to wait til May as I work for the school district and want to be able to take the whole summer off for recovery.

You are such a pretty girl already, you have the most beautiful red hair I have ever seen! I'm sure you are ready to get your jaw fixed (I know I'm ready to get mine done also) however, just wanted to say that you are going to absolutely stunning once all of this is done. I also think it is very impressive that your doing what it takes to make it happen. Good luck to you!

 
At 1:07 AM , Blogger Mrs. Shanton said...

I can relate to your comment about noticing other people's bites. I wish I had a few thousand dollars to offer people to get them braces, and then let them find an insurance company that readily pays for surgery. I honestly think there are people out there who don't know their jaws could be fixed. I've seen some bad ones, and I feel so sorry, and I almost feel ashamed for not discreetly saying something. On the other hand, if I can't really help financially, maybe I'd only be hurting them.
Life is cruel to some people.
Hasn't it made us more beautiful on the inside? I think it has. I hope it has. We've had to work on our other traits, like humor and charm and wit!

 
At 7:08 AM , Blogger amanda said...

Hey Larkin,
I just found your blog and I think it's great! I'm 28 and just starting this process, although I had the braces and many other contraptions as a teenager but all failed. I will get my braces in a couple of weeks then have surgery in a year or so for my overbite, but like you were saying in your post about comments people make I remember in college a guy refering to me as the little parrot mouthed girl and it has haunted me ever since! Anyway good luck to you it looks like you are getting close!
Amanda

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home